Candidate Questionnaire Responses
Responses from Jerry Tetalman (D-CA 49)
The U.S. Role in the World
1. What role do you believe the U.S. should play in the world today?
The US should be a leader in promoting democratic values and human rights around the world. The US should support the United Nations and the democratic countries in the world into more effective organizations of global governance.
2. Under what circumstances would you authorize the President to take military action?
Unless the US is directly attacked, I believe that military action in the world should go through the UN Security Council. Most military operations should be done in cooperation with our allies under NATO. I support NATO operating membership to include all democratic countries throughout the world.
3. Will you support legislation directing the U.S. government to develop a comprehensive plan for prevention of genocides and atrocities around the globe?
I support the development of the UN Rapid Response Force to intervene in cases of genocide.
Protection of Civilians from Mass Atrocities
4. Will you support efforts of the U.S. government to protect civilians in situations where their own countries are either unable to do so or are deliberately subjecting their own civilians to genocide or crimes against humanity, working within international law and through the U.N. system and the U.N. Security Council?
I support the “Responsibility to Protect” provision as passed by the UN.
5. Will you support the call for the U.S. and other permanent members of the U.N. Security Council to voluntarily refrain from the use or threat of a veto regarding situations involving ongoing genocide, crimes against humanity, or war crimes?
I support the phase out of the veto power of the permanent 5 members of the Security Council.
United Nations: US Leadership and Contributions
6. Do you support the full and timely payment by the U.S. of its funding obligations to the U.N. and the U.N. special fund for peacekeeping operations?
I believe it is critical that UN funding is uninterrupted, and that the US should fulfill its commitments to the UN.
7. Will you support providing the necessary personnel, logistical support, and equipment to U.N. peacekeeping missions when the U.S. government supports such action through the U.N. Security Council?
Yes, the US should uphold its obligations.
International Human Rights: The United Nations Human Rights Council
8. Will you support continued U.S. engagement with the U.N. Human Rights Council?
The US should promote human rights around the world and the UN Human Rights Council as an appropriate vehicle to accomplish this goal.
International Criminal Court
9. Will you support greater U.S. cooperation with the International Criminal Court (ICC) in situations where it is in the U.S. interest to bring to justice perpetrators of genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity?
I wholeheartedly support the ICC and its effort to bring perpetrators of crimes against humanity to justice.
10. Will you support the continued U.S. participation as an observer in the ICC's governing body (known as the Assembly of States Parties)?
11. Do you support Senate accession and U.S. ratification of the Rome Statute, which would make the U.S. a full state party to the ICC?
I believe it is vital that the US join as a full state party to the ICC to show leadership in the world and to support the role of law at the global level.
12. With very strong pressures to severely cut almost all budgets except defense, foreign assistance is often one of the first things targeted for reductions. Do you support protecting international assistance from disproportionate cuts compared to other portions of the U.S. budget as an investment in future security and prosperity?
I believe that foreign assistance is in the interest of US security as well as promoting humanitarian interests.
Senate Only (Optional for House Candidates)
Nuclear Weapons: Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty
13. Do you support Senate accession and U.S. ratification of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT)?
This is a critical treaty in reducing the amount of nuclear weapons still active and working toward nuclear disarmament.
The U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea: Pro-US Military, American Business and Global Environment
14. Will you support Senate accession and U.S. ratification of the U.N. Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS)?
The US should be a leader in development of international law and global treaties.
Human Rights for Women Globally: The Treaty for the Rights of Women
15. Will you support Senate accession and U.S. ratification of the U.N. Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), also known as the Treaty for the Rights of Women?
I am a strong supporter of women’s rights around the world.
General Questions: House and Senate Candidates
16. Have you made public statements, written articles or taken formal positions on any of the issues covered in this questionnaire or on any other foreign policy, national security, or military intelligence issues? If, so please attach or provide reference.
I have outlines these positions in a book I co-authored, titled “One World Democracy: A Progressive Vision for Enforceable Global Law.”
17. If offered, would you accept the endorsement of Global Solutions Action Network for election?
I have been a long-time member of Citizens for Global Solutions and served as president of the San Diego chapter for a number of years, as well as president of the California region of Citizens for Global Solutions.
18. If offered, would you accept a contribution from Global Solutions PAC?
I would be most grateful for your financial support.
Paid for by Global Solutions PAC
The Global Citizen
A blog by GlobalSolutions.org
April 14, 2014 - 2:00pm EDT
Ben Franklin said it best — nothing is certain, “except death and taxes.” Like most Americans, we submit our 1040s to... Continue Reading
April 08, 2014 - 2:00pm EDT
Recently, I wrote on the consistent partisan divide between Republicans and Democrats on foreign policy over the last decade... Continue Reading